Working while studying

A stay abroad does not come cheap, especially if you are planning to stay longer than three months.

If you would like to work in the Netherlands to make some extra money, please read the information below first, to find out the options and special conditions under which you are allowed to work here.

Students from within the EU and Swiss students

If you are a student from a member state of the European Union, you are allowed to work in the Netherlands during your stay. There is free trade in goods and services within the EU. Unfortunately, students from Croatia still need to obtain a work permit.

Students from outside the EU

For authorisation to work in the Netherlands, an employer must apply for a work permit. The permit can only be applied for by employers. This means that you must first find an employer who is willing to apply for a work permit on your behalf. In the event that all this has been arranged, you may work:

  • either for a maximum of 16 hours per week all year round, or
  • full-time, but only in the months June, July and August

Social security number & health insurance

In order to be able to work in the Netherlands, you need to have a citizen service number (‘burgerservicenummer’ or ‘BSN’ for short in Dutch), which you will receive after registering at the city hall.

Additionally, Dutch law requires every resident with an employee status to take out Dutch public health insurance. Read more about (health) insurance.

Ask fellow students

We also recommend that you ask fellow students what kind of work they do, how they found the job etc. This does not guarantee that you will find a job, but it will give you an idea about the work on offer and where to look.

More information

Discover the benefits of having a side-job alongside your studies in the Netherlands. Learn where to find part-time jobs and understand the specific restrictions. Watch the video below or visit the Nuffic website for more detailed information.