Registration at city hall

As an Avans student, you may be living in the Netherlands for 4 months or longer without leaving the country. Or you might want to work during your studies. In those cases, you are required to register at the city hall of the town where you are going to live.

You will receive a citizen service number once you have been registered as a new resident.

In order to register at the city hall you need to bring several original documents from your home county. And to register at city hall, you have to make an appointment. Please visit the website of the municipality where you are going to live for more information about the requirements for registration:

Deregistration upon leaving the country

When you leave the Netherlands, you must inform city hall about this.

Other municipalities

Please visit your municipality's website or contact the Avans International Office.

More information

Watch the video below for a detailed description on how to register at the municipality and getting a BSN number when arriving in the Netherlands.


If you have any problems with your registration or deregistration, the International Office staff will be happy to assist you. Please contact the International Office at [email protected], or on +31 88 525 80 01.