The Holland Scholarship is granted to international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) enrolling on a bachelor’s or master’s in the Netherlands. The EEA consists of the EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The Holland Scholarship is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science and Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences.
The scholarship amounts to a one-time award of €5,000 that will be paid in the first year of your studies. You are allowed to use matching funds from other scholarships to cover the additional expenses of your study programme.
- You are not an EEA, Swiss or Surinamese national.
- You are applying for a full-time English-taught bachelor’s or master’s degree programme at Avans University of Applied Sciences and you meet the admission requirements for this programme.
- You have not previously studied at Avans University of Applied Sciences or any other educational institution in the Netherlands.
- You are prepared to pay the institutional tuition fees in full.
- Your application includes a letter of motivation.
- You are prepared to act as an ambassador for Avans University of Applied Sciences.
How to apply
Step 1 – Apply to the English-taught bachelor’s or master’s degree programme of your choice.
Step 2 – Write a letter of motivation of 500 to 650 words stating:
- Why you think you are the right candidate for a Holland Scholarship.
- What notable contribution you plan to make to the international communities of Breda and the Netherlands upon graduation from Avans University of Applied Sciences.
- How your time in the Netherlands and at Avans University of Applied Sciences will further your career goals.
- How you will promote Avans in your country of origin.
Step 3 – Apply for the Holland Scholarship at Avans between 1 February and 30 April of the year before the academic year for which you wish to enrol by submitting the application form.
Please note that this scholarship application procedure is not part of the enrolment procedure for the study programme. If you wish to apply for this scholarship, you also have to complete your enrolment via Studielink.
30 April - Holland Scholarship application deadline
12 June - Written notification as to whether you have been awarded the scholarship
Awarding of the scholarship
Avans will select those who will be granted the scholarship. Recipients are selected based on meeting the application criteria and their letter of motivation. Avans will inform you directly of its decision. This decision will be binding. Please note that you will only be awarded the scholarship after you have been accepted, have started your studies with us and have informed yourself about all rules and regulations. The scholarship will be paid into a Dutch bank account after your arrival in the Netherlands.
As a recipient, you are expected to provide input for evaluations concerning the internationalisation of Avans University of Applied Sciences and to help further developments.
If you have any questions before you apply, please email the International Office.
The Holland Scholarship is a scholarship made available by Avans University of Applied Sciences, EP-Nuffic, Association of Universities in the Netherlands, Netherlands Association of Universities of Applied Sciences and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
Avans University of Applied Sciences shares the information provided in Holland Scholarship applications with EP-Nuffic and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. These organisations check whether Avans awards the scholarships in accordance with the regulations. By submitting your application you agree to share the information you provide with these organisations.